At Let America Read, we are committed to protecting your online privacy and the security of the information that you might provide to us.
Information We Collect About You
We at Let America Read will potentially collect personal information from you in the three following ways: (1) information you provide directly to us; (2) information we collect automatically when you use the Site; and (3) information we obtain from other sources.
How we use the information you provide directly to Let America Read
We collect information that you provide to us directly and will potentially use this information to send you news and information about Let America Read. When you volunteer online we may ask you to give us contact information (such as your name and e-mail address) and geographic information (such as your zip code and state). We may ask you to tell us how you would like to help. We may use this information to send you material and to help match your interests to our activities. By providing us your telephone number, you are consenting to receive calls and texts, including those made with automatic dialing systems or featuring a recorded message. We may also collect any other types of identifying information you choose to provide or authorize to collect about yourself or others. You may update your information by emailing us at email@example.com. Let America Read may share information with its successor organizations, if any.
Automatically Collected Information
When you access the Let America Read website, there will be some information about you that we automatically collect as a part of our website’s functionality. This includes:
- Log and Usage Information: We collect information related to your access to and use of the Site. This includes things like the type of browser you use, the version of the app you’re using, the time you accessed the website, the pages you viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Site.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Site, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information. We also collect information from your device that you authorize us to collect, such as your contacts for purposes of providing you functionality that allows you to share messages with your contacts. If you would like to make changes to the level of access that is available to us, you can consult your device settings for choices you may have to limit our access to this information.
- Transactional Information: If you make a donation or purchase, we may collect information about the transaction, such as donation amount, purchase price, product detains, and date and location of the transaction.
- Location Information: Based on your IP address, we may derive the approximate location of the device you are using to access our site.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We (and our service providers) use different technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Site and your experience, see which areas and features of our Site are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that may be used in our Site or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see Data Tracking below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
Let America Read and our service providers may also obtain information about you from other sources, such as publicly available databases and voter file data from state parties. We may combine this information with the other information we collect about you on our Site. If you connect to us or our site through a social media platform, we may also receive information through the social media platform.
How We Use Information
We may use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Site;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process donations and transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts,
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and provide technical support;
- Respond to your emails, submissions, comments, questions and requests; request feedback or support, and otherwise contact you about your participation in the campaign and the use of the Site;
- Communicate with you about candidates or petitions, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, activities, and volunteer opportunities, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- To solicit volunteers, donations and support for Let America Read and our affiliates, issues and organizations that we support and to connect you with other volunteers;
- Contact you if Federal election laws require us to request additional information from you;
- Remind you to vote and register to vote and assist you in finding your registration information, polling location and campaign events near you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Site;
- Personalize and improve the Site and provide advertisements, content or features based on your user preferences, interests, and browsing and online activities;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Appropriately monitor and respond to fraudulent, abusive or illegal activities on our site to protect the rights and property of Let America Read and our users, and enforce our Terms of Service.
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
When You Sign One of Our Petitions
When you sign one of our petitions, we treat your name, city, state, and any comments as public information. We may, for example, provide compilations of petitions, with your comments, to national leaders, without disclosing email addresses. We may also make comments available to the press and public online, identifying only your first name, the first initial of your last name, your city and state.
Information on Children
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, service providers, volunteers, and consultants who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With candidates, organizations, campaigns, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives or share similar goals and with organizations that facilitate communications and information sharing among such groups;
- Subject to applicable contractual or legal restrictions, in connection with the sale or exchange of your information and related data to a broker or other non-profit or for-profit entity;
- With other participants in a joint fundraising committee;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- When we have good faith belief that disclosure is necessary in the protection or defense of our rights, safety, security, users if our site, or others, or if it becomes necessary to investigate illegal activities;
- If we are concerned that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies and have an interest in protecting Let America Read’s rights, property, and the safety of our employees, volunteers, constituents, or others;
- If it is pertinent to any structural changes related to Let America Read’s operation;
- With your express or implied consent, or at your express or implied direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used by those third parties to identify you.
Links to other sites
Social Sharing Features
Our site may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Site with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the relevant social media site. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Transfer of Information to the U.S.
Our organization is based in the United States, and is directed to U.S. residents, and we process and store information in the U.S. If you are located
outside the U.S., we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access to your information in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies, however, this does not necessarily affect third-party flash cookies that may be used in connection with our Sites. You can also review your choices regarding behavioral advertising cookies at www.aboutads.info/choices. If you choose to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer or browser. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Site.
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. There is no standard that governs what, if anything, websites and online services should do when they receive these signals. We currently do not take action in response to these signals. If and when a standard for responding is established, we may revisit our policy on responding to these signals.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails or text messages from Let America Read at any time by following the instructions in those emails or text messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails related to your account. It may take some time for your opt-out request and new privacy settings to take effect. Additionally, we will not necessarily be able to access or determine the use of any information third-parties received before your opt-out.
We may place online advertising with third-party vendors, including Google, Facebook, AddThis and Twitter, which will be shown on other sites on the Internet. In some cases, those third-party vendors may decide which ads to show you based on your prior visits to the website. At no time will you be personally identified to those third-party vendors, nor will any of the information you share with us be shared with those third-party vendors. If you prefer to opt out of the use of these third-party cookies on the Let America Read website, you can do so by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative opt out page or by following the individual opt-out links in the section below.
Individual Opt-Out links
Let America Read recognizes that your privacy is important to your Internet experience. If you wish to individually opt-out of third-party targeted advertising by one or more of our partners, Let America Read has provided the individual links here. To opt out of Twitter's interest-based advertising, click here. To opt out of Google Analytics, click here. Information on adjusting your Facebook settings can be found here. To opt out of AddThis targeted advertising, click here.
When you subscribe for updates:
We will use your email address to send you updates. You may remove your name from our mailing lists at anytime by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you sign up for our mailing lists:
We collect your e-mail address, state, and zip code.
We use your e-mail address to send you Let America Read updates. We may use your zip code and state to send you e-mail messages about upcoming campaign events in your area. You may remove your e-mail address from our lists by emailing us at email@example.com. We do not share our mailing lists with non-political third parties; however, we may share your information with other like-minded Democratic candidates and organizations.
We log IP addresses, or the location of your computer network on the Internet, for systems administrations and troubleshooting purposes. We also may use IP addresses in the aggregate to track which pages people visit in order to improve the quality of the Site. We do not use this data to develop profiles of individual visitors to our website.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Let America Read uses Facebook messenger to communicate with supporters in a manner consistent with Facebook messenger’s privacy requirements.
How we protect your information:
Our website has security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of the information under our control. Our server is located in a locked, secure environment.
When you contribute online, we use a secure server and SSL to protect your credit card number and other personal information during the transmission. SSL is short for Secure Sockets Layer, a protocol developed by Netscape for secure transmission of private information over the Internet. SSL works by using a private key to encrypt data that are transmitted over the SSL connection. Both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer browsers support SSL, and websites use SSL when users transmit confidential information such as credit card numbers. Web pages that require an SSL connection start with https: instead of http. SSL uses 128 bit encryption within the United States. Click here to read more about SSL.
At Let America Read, we are putting forth every effort to ensure the security and privacy of the information that you share with us online. Remember that steps you take to help protect the privacy of your personal information, such as safeguarding your passwords and logging off the website after viewing or submitting personal information, are equally important. If you have broadband access to the Internet it is strongly advised to use a firewall.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like this information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We provide you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from us easily and promptly. E-mail us at email@example.com. Our unsubscribe requests are processed weekly.
Correcting Your Information:
If you need to correct the information you have provided to us, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need to change your email address, you can unsubscribe from our mailing list and sign up again using your new information.
Contacting us about privacy:
In an ongoing effort to provide the utmost in security of the information you give to us, Let America Read reserves the right to revise or update the policy used.